Client Service Dates
February 2 - March 24, 2013
OUR SITE IS NOW CLOSED.
Taxpayers still have until
April 15, 2013 to file their 2012 tax return without penalty. You may log on to our FREE website to file your taxes on your own. Alternatively, you may contact the COMPASS site in Chapel Hill at www.orangecountyvita.org.
The estimated standard time for preparing a return is 1 hour. So, please come early for your appointment, preferably when our site opens or sometime thereabouts, to ensure that we will have sufficient time to prepare your return. Our site closes promptly at the times listed above. If you come even within 30 minutes of closing time, then you will have to reschedule your appointment. PLEASE BRING SOCIAL SECURITY OR ITIN CARDS FOR EVERYONE LISTED ON THE RETURN, INCLUDING DEPENDENTS. WE CANNOT AND WILL NOT PREPARE YOUR RETURN WITHOUT SEEING YOUR ORIGINAL SOCIAL SECURITY OR ITIN CARDS.
Appointment dates that are full will not be shown on the online scheduling system. Only open slots will be selectable.
Free parking is available in the adjacent lots weekdays after 5 p.m. and all day on the weekends, except for the possibility of a UNC basketball (or other sports) game where the lot may be closed or require payment. Even if there is an event attendant in the lot, you may be able to park if you tell the attendant that you are here for VITA Income Tax services. However, we cannot guarantee parking during these times. The rightmost door on the parking lot side of the building may be the only door open at the Law School on the weekends.
Some of our volunteers are certified in International or Military returns. If you are a member of the military or a require a foreign return, and wish to use to our services, please email us to inquire about our capacity. Please be advised that we can only accept a limited number of returns due to the fact that not all volunteers are certified in this area (1040NR or 1040NR-EZ). If we are unable to prepare your return, please seek assistance from the Office of International Students.
You must be a US citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) in order to use our services. We also do not prepare prior year or amended returns.
Please see our FAQs for additional questions.
Appointments are required for this service and all sessions will be held only at UNC School of Law. Click Make an Appointment to schedule a session. If you just need a consultation, then please also schedule an appointment. We do not have walk-in services available.
What to Bring
- Proof of identification (driver's license, state ID card, passport, visa, or school ID card)
Social Security cards (or ITIN cards) for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents
- You must bring the actual Social Security cards to your appointment.
- Wage and Earning Statement(s) from all employers: W-2
- Interest and Dividend Statement(s): 1099-INT, 1099-DIV
- Other sources of income: W-2G, 1099R, SSA-1099, alimony, 1099-MISC, etc.
- Tuition statement for qualified education expense: 1098-T
- Any receipts or proof of purchase of required textbooks, etc.
- Child care provider's tax identification number (either the provider's SSN or the provider's business Employer Identification Number).
- A check if using direct deposit for refunds (it must have the bank routing number and account number).
- A copy of last year's tax return (if available).
- If a couple is filing jointly and electronically, both spouses must be present to sign the forms.
- UNC VITA will not prepare returns for households making greater than $62,000 or $51,000 for individuals.
Form Limitations: UNC VITA will not prepare these forms under normal circumstances:
- Form 1040 Schedules:
- Schedule C (Profit or Loss from a Business), unless you meet Schedule C-EZ criteria but your business expenses are between $5,000 and $10,000.
- Schedule D (complicated and advanced Ds, i.e. those involving a high number of transactions)
- Schedule E (Rental Income)
- Other forms:
- Form SS-5 (Request for a SSN)
- Form 2106 (Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses)
- Form 3903 (Moving Expenses)
- Form 8606 (Nondeductible IRAs)
- Form 8615 (children under 18 with high investment income, AKA "kiddie tax")
Now Offering file from home
If you wish, you may prepare your return yourself from home at
http://www.myfreetaxes.com/unclawvita. Your income must be below $57,000. If you run into questions, you may contact support at
or walk into our clinic during the hours we are open for assistance. This is the only walk-in assistance we will be able to provide. For all other assistance, please make an appointment.