SBA will be sending out a monthly e-mail newsletter with information about upcoming events and important announcements. I encourage all of you to read this monthly newsletter. We will post additional information about upcoming events and announcements on the SBA Website. If you have comments, questions, or concerns, feel free to attend one of our Board of Governors meetings. You can also email me at email@example.com. On behalf of the SBA Board of Governors, welcome back to Carolina Law and welcome to the Class of 2016. We are looking forward to a great year.
Student Organization Funding Opportunities
There are a variety of funding opportunities available to student organizations:
Student Bar Association
Student organizations that have unexpected costs arise during the semester can request emergency funds from the SBA by filling out the Emergency Budget Request Form available from SBA's Budget Forms . You must send the completed form and a copy of your SAFO general ledger to SBA Treasurer Trent Kool (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 48 hours in advance of a meeting of the SBA Board of Governors for your request to be considered.
SBA also offers seed money, which is essentially a no-interest loan from the SBA that can be allocated to help group fundraising efforts. Seed money received from the SBA must be repaid within a designated period. The application process for seed money is the same as the process for emergency funding requests.
The SBA will also fund groups who clean the dining area. Groups can sign up on the Google Doc available here: Cleaning Sign-ups. Sign-ups are first come first serve, and groups will receive $30 for each cleaning.
Student Activity Fee Committee
The Student Activity Fee Committee allocates funds received from the Student Activity Fee. To apply for funding please fill out the Student Activity Fee Request Form. For more information, contact the Student Activity Fee Committee members: Aldo Rodriguez ( email@example.com), Donald Huggins ( firstname.lastname@example.org), or Billy Piontek ( email@example.com).
UNC Student Congress
Student organizations can apply for funding from Student Congress, the Legislative Branch of Student Government on the main campus. For information about how to apply for funding from Congress please visit http://congress.unc.edu/.
Student organizations can apply for funding from the Graduate and Professional Student Federation, the umbrella graduate and professional student government organization on campus. For information on how to apply, please visit the website of the GPSF Appropriations Committee. For questions relating to GPSF, contact your GPSF Senators: Safa Sajadi (firstname.lastname@example.org), Kira Lumsden (email@example.com), and Nishma Patel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
GPSF Travel Awards
The Graduate and Professional Student Federation sponsors travel awards to cover conference and research travel expenses for individual graduate and professional students as well as groups of graduate and professional students in the following categories:
- Masters or professional students attending a conference
- Doctoral, masters, or professional students attending a conference to present a paper / poster or to serve as a discussant, session chair or invited panelist
- Doctoral, masters, or professional students traveling to another institution for research purposes
- Groups of doctoral, masters or professional students attending an academic competition
For more information and to view the application, visit the GPSF Travel Awards page.
The Graduate and Professional Student Federation (GPSF) Newsletter is sent out twice per month to communicate information about social and intellectual events on campus, funding opportunities, public service opportunities, and more, to the graduate and professional student population at UNC-Chapel Hill. To subscribe to the GPSF Newsletter or access the archive of previous newsletters, visit the GPSF Newsletter Tool.
Bar Review: Every Thursday!
Check Facebook and daily announcements for updates on the location of bar review.
Wellness Week: October 28 - November 1
Be on the lookout for announcements on Wellness Week 2013! There will be a lot of fun events that will be taking place at the law school to celebrate Wellness Week.
Halloween Party: October 31
Be on the lookout for details on the 2013 UNC Law Halloween Party! The party will take place on October 31, and we are currently working on locking down a bar on Franklin Street to host.
Check the daily e-mails and watch for fliers around the building for more information.
3L Class Gift Committee
The 3L class is currently looking for committee members to help brainstorm/select the class gift. If you would like to be on the committee or just have a great idea for a gift please email 3L President Andrew Gibbs at email@example.com.
Sports and Intramurals
Upcoming Football Games
- UNC v. East Carolina: 9/28/2013 @ 12:30 PM
- UNC @ Virginia Tech: 10/5/2013 @ TBA
- UNC v. Miami: 10/17/2013 @ TBA
- UNC v. Boston College: 10/26/2013 @ TBA
Upcoming Men's Basketball Games
- UNC v. UNC Pembroke (Exhibition): 11/1/2013 @ 7:30 PM
- UNC v. Oakland: 11/8/2013 @ 9:00 PM
- UNC v. Holy Cross: 11/15/2013 @ 4:00 PM
- UNC v. Belmont: 11/17/2013 @ 4:00 PM
- UNC v. Richmond (Tournament in Uncasville, CT): 11/23/2013 @ 12:00 PM
- UNC v. Louisville/Fairfield (Tournament in Uncasville, CT): 11/24/2013 @ 1:00 PM
Upcoming Women's Basketball Games
- UNC v. Carson Newman (exhibition): 10/30/2013 @ 6:00 PM
- UNC v. Wingate (exhibition): 11/5/2013 @ 6:00 PM
- UNC v. Air Force: 11/8/2013 @ 4:30 PM
- UNC v. Tennessee: 11/11/2013 @ 9:00 PM
- UNC @ UCLA: 11/17/2013 @ 5:00 PM
For more information about UNC Athletics, visit http://www.goheels.com/
Late Night with Roy
Don't miss your first chance to see the 2013-2014 University of North Carolina men's and women's basketball teams at Late Night with Roy 2013, to be held on Friday, October 25 in the Dean E. Smith Center at 5 p.m.
Admission is free with general admission seating. Doors at the Smith Center will open at 4 p.m.
- Badminton Singles: Sign-ups open 9/23 and close 9/29
- Soccer: Sign-ups open 9/23 and close 9/29
- Tennis Singles Tournament: Sign-ups open 9/30 and close 10/6
- Street Hockey: Sign-ups open 9/30 and close 10/6
- Basketball Tournament: Sign-ups open 10/7 and close 10/13
- Pickleball: Sign-ups open 10/21 and close 10/27
- Halloween Hash Run: Sign-ups open 10/28 and close 10/31
- Dodgeball: Sign-ups open 10/28 and close 11/3
- Racquetball Tournament: Sign-ups open 11/4 and close 11/10
To sign up for a team, or for more information, please visit Campus Rec.