I hope this semester is going well for everyone. This newsletter contains information about some of the big events sponsored by the SBA and other groups that will be going on in the next few weeks. Please look through and read about the events that interest you. To see what else has been going on with the SBA, be sure to check the website (http://studentorgs.law.unc.edu/sba/). As always, if you ever have any questions about the SBA or ideas to improve the experience here at UNC Law, feel free to let me or any of the SBA representatives know. Thanks for making the Date Auction, Barristers' Ball, and the Law Revue a huge success. Photos taken from Barristers' Ball are available via Picasa.
If you are interested in becoming involved in the Student Bar Association during the 2013-14 school year, be on the lookout for important dates regarding the election. The first important dates are the general interest meetings, which will be held on March 25 and March 26 at noon in Room 4082.
If you are planning to run for a position, you must attend one of these interest meetings. The following positions will be available:
- SBA President (rising 3L)
- SBA Vice President (rising 3L)
- SBA Treasurer (rising 3L or 2L)
- SBA Secretary (rising 3L or 2L)
- 3L Class President
- 3L Class Representatives (2)
- 2L Class President
- 2L Class Representatives (2)
The SBA is sponsoring this spring's Wellness Week and there will be many events going on in the next week.
Tuesday, March 19
at 8:15 a.m. - Smoothies for Breakfast
- Grab a smoothie to start off your day. But come early, it'll be first come, first serve!
Wednesday, March 20
at noon - Wellness Walk and Healthy Options Food Fair
- Take a break from the books and get a little fresh air
- Student Services will be providing exclusive UNC Law sunglasses for participants of the Wellness Walk
- Also, try a few healthy options to normal snacks in the rotunda
Thursday, March 21
at noon - SBA Open Forum
- Come ask any questions you have of the SBA to help give next year's group an idea of how to make UNC Law the best experience it can be
- Give feedback to those of us that have served on SBA to how we can improve the group for the future
- Food will be provided
Friday, March 22 - Heels on the Street with Habitat for Humanity
GPSF Legislative Advocacy Day
Three members of the
UNC School of Law SBA, JM Durnovich, Andrew Gibbs, and John Harris participated
with the UNC GPSF to Advocate for Graduate and Professional School Funding in
the state of NC. The advocates met with
over a dozen Senators and Representatives throughout the day. The advocates also sat in on a Senate
Food Truck Rodeo
Take a break and come to this year's Food Truck Rodeo! This year's Food Truck Rodeo will be Tuesday, March 19 from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. in the CSO Parking Lot. Our participating food trucks so far include: Chirba Chirba, Sympathy for the Deli, The Humble Pig, American Meltdown, and Local Yogurt. Ten percent of the sale proceeds go towards helping fund the Pro Bono Programs Winter and Spring Break Special Trips.
*Also, to date, the Class of 2013 has 83% participation (the highest ever) and has logged over 14,400 hours of Pro Bono!*
ELPS and the CSO are co-sponsoring a career panel on "Traditional and Non-Traditional Legal Careers in Higher Education Law" on Monday, March 18 at noon in Room 4085. Panelists include Dean Mosteller of UNC Law, Kelly Podger Smith of Smith Anderson and Professor Dana Thompson Dorsey of UNC's School of Global Studies. Lunch will be served! ELPS will also be releasing its career directory on the day of the panel. The directory will include contact information of alumni in the Triangle and beyond who are practicing education law, tips on conducting an effective job search, and narratives written by alumni who are current education law practitioners.
On Wednesday, March 27 at noon ELPS will present an academic panel entitled "Method Behind the Madness." Panelists will discuss law school pedagogy/instructional methods that are used to teach the law, and the ramifications of those methods. Stay posted for additional details!
UNC Law Bowling League
The Bowling League has started back up on Monday nights. For $7.25, you get two games and shoes. If you're interested in signing up a team or just want to go play, please contact Health and Fitness Committee Chair Pierce Sandwith at email@example.com.
Class Gift Kickoff Party
Come celebrate the Class of 2013 Gift on Tuesday, April 2 from 7 - 9 p.m. at Top of the Hill! There will be raffles, prizes, and maybe even a little inter-college competition. More details will be announced as the Class Gift and event are finalized.
- The commencement ceremony for the Class of 2013 will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 11 in Carmichael Arena.
- If you missed ordering your cap and gown, you must submit your order at www.herffjones.com/college/graduation by March 21.
- Immediately following commencement, the graduates and their families are invited back to the law school for a picnic.